“We’ve had our eye on Las Vegas for many years and have finally found the right location and opportunity,” said Michael Gross, the CEO of Morgans Hotel Group.
By 2013, all of THEhotel’s 1,100 suites will be redesigned. The bars, lounge, spa and restaurants will also be transformed to evoke the personality of the iconic brand, described as “luxury with a touch of individuality.”
So what more is there to know about the Delano?
1) Several years ago, there had been a Delano planned for Las Vegas. The hip new resort was going to be part of Boyd Gaming Corp.’s $4.8 billion Echelon project on the site of the former Stardust. Thanks to the economy, those plans were scrapped.
2) Delano Las Vegas will be the second Delano location to open in the United States. The first one is in Florida. The Delano South Beach is known for being insanely gorgeous and has a reputation as an uber-cool urban resort. The décor has an art deco vibe. Built in 1947 by architect Robert Swartburg, the Delano has been updated through the years. Morgans Hotel Group acquired it in 1995 under hotelier Ian Schrager and re-launched it with renovations done by Philippe Stark. Situated directly on the beach, it has 194 rooms, suites and lofts. The acclaimed Agua Spa is found on the roof. The resort also boasts the FDR at Delano, a subterranean nightlife venue, and Bianca, an innovative Italian restaurant – both of which were created by The Light Group.
3) Outside of the U.S., there is soon to be another Delano – located in Morocco. The Delano Marrakech is scheduled to open on Sept. 21, 2012. Designed by acclaimed French architect Jacques Garcia, the sumptuous property will have a total of 71 rooms and a 20,000-square-foot spa called The Pearl with a subterranean pool. There will also been a stellar assortment of eateries including Bon R from Michelin-starred French chef Michel Rostang and Pomiroeu, a Mediterranean/Italian restaurant helmed by Giancarlo Morelli.
4) Rumor has it that the next international Delano may appear in Çeşme, Turkey. This coastal resort town is known for being lapped by the crystal clear blue waters of the Aegean Sea.
5) Morgans Hotel Group developed its first property – Morgans on Madison Avenue in New York City – in 1984. With a sophisticated design-based concept, it revolutionized the notion of a “boutique hotel” in the hospitality industry. Today, Morgans Hotel Group still adheres to an ideology that no two Delano properties will ever be the same – as each location is adapted to its surroundings and offers a completely unique guest experience.
While THEhotel at Mandalay Bay is being transformed into the Delano Las Vegas, take a peek at what the original iconic resort – the Delano South Beach – looks like in the photo gallery below.